Address: Church Lane, Chalvington, East Sussex
Description: The parish appears in the Domesday Book, 1086, called Calvintone and Caveltone has four entries but the church is not mentioned. The church was among those taxed by Pope Nicholas IV in 1291.
The Lord Sackville of the Manor of Chalvington was granted the drowsing in 1346-47, and it has been thought that the original dedication may have been to Thomas-à-Becket, first because there is a small stained light portraying him in one of the windows, and secondly because there is in the Rolls of the Manor of Chalvington a record of a court held on "Saturday next before the Feast of the Translation of St. Thomas the Martyr" 1364, which may imply a connection.
There is no evidence of any church before the present building which is a perfect miniature example of the late 13th century decorated style; the curvilinear east window was added later, the gift of the rector, Thomas Diliwyt, who held the living between 1388 and 1409.